Monday, June 8, 2009

Wisdom For Our Lives

I have often been frustrated with people because they lacked wisdom. More often though, I have been frustrated with my own lack of wisdom. I'm sure many of you can understand what I'm saying. Consider the examples below which demonstrate our own foolishness:

1. Our lack of wisdom prevents us from discerning the intentions of men

I meet people who are unwilling to listen to Scripture even though my intentions are for their good. In their narrow-mindedness they may think that in pointing out their mistakes I am trying to be morally superior/pharasaic. Whatever happened to "admonishing and teaching... so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ" (Col 1:28)? Whatever happened to submitting under the authority of God's Word(Jas 1:23-24)? I also wonder how many times a person might be sincerely trying to correct me only for myself to think how unworthy for a sinful person like him or her to do so! He/she might just be fulfilling God's command for all my puny and foolish mind can know. I might have avoided the Word of God to my own peril.

2. Our lack of wisdom prevents us from correctly handling the word of truth

Titus 2 teaches to "encourage and rebuke with all authority." However, at times I have rebuked people who needed encouragement more than harsh (but nonetheless true) words. I might have spoken the truth, even in love, but the message received at the other end is totally opposite what I intended. The same truth should have been spoken with the same authority (that is, God's Word) but in the correct manner! Surely in these instances I have lacked the wisdom to properly use or correctly handle the word of truth (2 Tim 2:15).

3. Our lack of wisdom makes us choose the way of the world and not of God

Whether it is trying to look good (physically or spiritually), or giving in to temptations and rejecting God's Word, or succumbing to the materialistic and physical pursuit of this world, or abandoning love for brothers, or being numb to the gracious provision of His Word, we in so many ways have become foolish. To me, the most pitiful thing about our condition is that a foolish person never knows that he is foolish. Otherwise he would have turned from his foolishness. Therefore, I am not surprised that it might take a long time and the Spirit's awakening to really turn a man from his foolish thoughts.


Prayer: Heavenly Father, rescue us from our foolish lives. Forgive our foolishness in the way we approach you and man. May your Spirit living in us give us wisdom and the ability to know and apply your truth. May we learn from Jesus who not only is wise, but is Himself wisdom from God (1 Cor 1:30), in whom is hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge(Col 2:3). This we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment