Monday, January 18, 2010

Scripture-Quoting, Kingdom-Manipulating Unbelief (2 Sam 3:6-11)

Haha, that's a mouthful ya? But at least that's what I get from this passage. The story thus far in 2 Samuel 3: Saul has just died, and there were two vying kingdoms, the one set up by David (whom God promised would be king), and another kingdom by Saul's son, supported by this guy Abner, in direct opposition to David's kingship over Israel. The passage is all about Abner and his unbelief.

Firstly, Abner's Scripture-quoting unbelief. The main irony of this passage comes from the fact that Abner is actively opposing David's rule by supporting Saul's son and not David, despite knowing the fact that the Lord has promised David to be the king (2:8)! So then Saul's son came and pointed out that Abner is commiting some wrong by sleeping with his father's concubine (3:7) and Abner decides that it is time to change allegiance. It is time to swear allegiance to David. And he does it in the most "Christian" of manners - by quoting truth. "May God deal with Abner, be it ever so severely, if I do not do for David what the Lord promised on oath and transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and eastablish David's throne over Israel..." (3:9-10) He repeats the promise of God. Sounds noble and holy and right, isn't it?

Yet it is not hard to see that Abner never truly believed in God's promise by his initial blatant resistance to David's kingship. Nor was there any sign of true repentance, given the fact that he had decided to switch allegiance only because he was afraid his sin would be exposed. He had more fear of men than the fear of God.

Abner then represents the one who knows the truth, but does not embrace it. He is the one who quotes the truth, but does not submit to it, who learns the truth but does not obey it, or as Paul says "always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth" (2 Tim 3:7). Let us not fall into this type of Scripture-quoting unbelief!

Secondly, his kingdom-manipulating unbelief. Abner did not seek God's kingdom because he felt the authority of God's promise. He sought it because it is to his advantage. His seeking of God's kingdom did not come with a love for God's rule, but a love for self-rule. The seeking of God's kingdom was only the means to seek his own kingdom. It is the only way for him, who has fallen out of favour with Saul's son, to regain his powerful position in David's kingdom.

Abner then, represents the self-serving folks who would use the Kingdom of God as a means to glorify himself. Dale Ralph Davis writes, "They seem more concerned with whether God's people will be impressed with them, like them, congratulate and dote over them. Abner is not far away from any of us." Let us not fall into this type of kingdom-manipulating unbelief!

Thoughts

As I read through this, it warns me of my motivations for doing things. Do I quote the truth in order to serve myself? Do I seek the kingdom in order to glorify myself? Neither the quotation of truth nor the seeking of kingdom is validity of itself. It could stem from godlessness, pride and unbelief. There is simply nothing that man cannot make perverse - even truth and kingdom. In our lives and Christian service, we might be thinking these self-centered things (as I do):

  • Do they like my teaching? Am I interesting enough for them? Will they be impressed with the lesson that I have prepared, which I have poured many hours into ?


  • Are people taking notice that I am serving now? Does my service make people think slightly better of me?


  • Does my prayers sound long enough, zealous enough, and spiritual enough, with the impressive words that people will take special notice of me?


  • Do the advice I give, the words I speak or even this blog post draw attention to my spiritual life that I will be esteemed and praised?

Let's realize that Abner is really not far from each of us, and the faster we rid of him, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment